Many people who enjoy the sport of running will gradually understand the importance of properly warming up and cooling down before and after a run, in addition to eating healthy foods. Research has shown that a strong body will endure less injuries, and this is achieved by performing simple stretches and exercises. These can include lunges, hip flexor stretches, and shin splints can possibly be avoided by practicing heel and toe walks. If you would like additional information about how running injuries can affect the feet, and how to prevent them, it is suggested that you seek the counsel of a podiatrist.
All runners should take extra precaution when trying to avoid injury. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact Todd A. Bell, DPM of Connecticut. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
There are a lot of mistakes a runner can make prior to a workout that can induce injury. A lot of athletes tend to overstretch before running, instead of saving those workouts for a post-run routine. Deep lunges and hand-to-toe hamstring pulls should be performed after a workout instead of during a warmup. Another common mistake is jumping into an intense routine before your body is physically prepared for it. You should try to ease your way into long-distance running instead of forcing yourself to rush into it.
More Tips for Preventing Injury
- Incorporate Strength Training into Workouts - This will help improve the body’s overall athleticism
- Improve and Maintain Your Flexibility – Stretching everyday will help improve overall performance
- “Warm Up” Before Running and “Cool Down” Afterward – A warm up of 5-10 minutes helps get rid of lactic acid in the muscles and prevents delayed muscle soreness
- Cross-Training is Crucial
- Wear Proper Running Shoes
- Have a Formal Gait Analysis – Poor biomechanics can easily cause injury
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Bloomfield, CT . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about How to Prevent Running Injuries